Your body has many systems and processes built in to adapt to
and counter changing conditions. Usually this is a good
characteristic - think of sweating on a hot day to cool down or the
way your blood clots when you cut yourself. Unfortunately, the same
happens when you try to lose weight by reducing your carbohydrate
intake - your own body fights the change.
It does this by slowing down your Metabolic Rate to compensate
for the lack of carbohydrate fuel. Consequently, your body starts
burning less fuel overall, including fuel stored as fat - the fat
you're trying to lose.
Other reasons that cause plateaued weight loss include:
- Thyroid Disease
- Skipping Meals
- Insufficient Fluid Intake
- Reduced muscle mass (males have a larger muscle mass,
this is the reason why males tend to lose more weight than
- Having the same energy intake each day - same meals, same
A few tips to kick start your weight loss again:
- Substitute your fruit servings between meals with a
protein rich snack like a boiled egg or lean meat. Do this for at
least 4 or 5 days.
- Replace one of your daily shakes, soups or bars with an actual
- Add exercise to your routine.
- If you already exercise - vary it! Go for a swim instead of a
- Don't overdo the exercise - light to moderate exercise is
recommended on the Celebrity Slim Program, including walking,
swimming and light gym work.
- Swap your meals around and make sure you have snacks in between
- Drink plenty of water - you need at least 2 litres per day in
small, regular quantities.
- Ensure you have adequate fibre intake. Fibre can help increase
your metabolism and also helps increase the way in which food moves
through your digestive system.
- Try our range of Low-Carb Shakes or Bars, which are
specifically designed to help boost your weight loss results during
a weight loss plateau.